Friday, February 20, 2009

Dear Deer

The night before I left i was in my office doing some work when I heard this loud crash outside my window.  I figured it was a car accident which is not an unusual thing to happen in front of my place.  I walked over to the window to see the damage and in my front yard there is this beautiful deer slowly walking across my yard.  She wasn't limping and I saw that as a good sign, maybe she wasn't hit, maybe she stepped in front of a car who then slammed it's breaks on causing the car behind them to hit bumpers, I wanted for that awful thump I heard to have been the metal from cars and not the body of that sweet deer.
Well, a bit later animal control knocked on my door, she was hit, she walked to the backyard, curled up under a tree and died.  I wanted to cry, my heart was sick.  I felt so horrible.  I feel horrible.  Poor deer... know you were loved.

5 comments:

Lindsay Ross said...

This story is so sad! I would have cried too. is it sick that I usually feel worse for animals than humans when they get hurt?

saraH said...

oh jess I want to cry reading this story...at least the dear is in heaven and is happy. oh my heart hurts... I miss you dear. Had no idea you are in NY!

saraH said...

hahaha i just realized I called you dear. I wasn't implying I missed the dear that died that would be weird, never even met the dear. hahaha k im a dork

Mike Kemp said...

OK Jess, I will never tell you any of my dear hunting stories. Honestly, did you think I would not make a comment like that? Did they offer you the meat? Usually they do...Oh geese, I'm so insensitive. Honestly, that is really sad. Of all people to have to experience that, it shouldn't have to be you. I hope you didn't take my insensitive comments too seriously.

Amy said...

That is so sad! seriously I have tears building up in my eyes, I am at work so I have to fight it.